Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Birth and Life of Opera

From the start of the film on opera I found it very interesting that opera was thought of by a group that met to discuss topics like astronomy, literature, and philosophy. I find it intriguing how opera was born from those topics. While continuing to watch the film I was amazed at the portion where they show the hidden attic room at the palace in Mantua. I can only imagine the excitement of finding a hidden room when I'm sure the organization that keeps the buildings restored has been there for while. The possibilities of what they learned from the things discovered in the room and from the meaning of the room itself. Continuing on I liked the distinction they made between a musical and an Opera, telling that simple lines in the piece, in a musical would be spoken, while in an opera they are sung, I didn't realize until it was said that this does in fact have a much less melodramatic effect. I was also interested and unaware that it is hard on the voice to switch continuously from speaking to singing. Mozart made a leap in Opera when, in order to broach contreversial topics he brought them to the stage. It was an extremely intelligent way to get the audience he wanted to see the topics see it, and pay for it where they normally would refuse to.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment