Saturday, April 26, 2014

War of the Worlds

Orson Wells War of the Worlds broadcast was not something I thought I would be interested in at first. I have seen the movie adaptation of the story and found it to be an okay sic fi film that relied on a lot of special effects, action, and things blowing up. This broadcast on the other hand was much more engaging than I had thought it would be. I chose to listen to the broadcast while walking my dog. At first I expected to kind of tune it out and have it be a background noise to our walk. But while i continued to listen, the exact opposite happened. The walk became more of a background for the broadcast I was listening to. The way the broadcast is presented is so believable that I found myself completely absorbed by it, and I realized I had been paying little to no attention to where I was walking.  I believe that one of the most successful elements of this story is how they had, other public officials make announcements to the people throughout the broadcast. It was not just the radio host reporting, having people in positions of authority address the public makes it that much more believable.

No comments:

Post a Comment